Kathrin Maedler, PhD
(Head of the group)
- 2000-2002: Ph.D. thesis at the Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland. Thesis: “Lipo-and Glucotoxicity on human pancreatic islets” (supervisor Prof. Dr. M.Y. Donath).
- 1999: Clinical Pharmacy, London School of Pharmacy & University of Tübingen,
- 1998: Licensed Approbation as pharmacist, Hannover, Germany.
- 1997: Graduation as “Magistra Pharmacia”. Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy, thesis: “In vitro and in vivo investigations with the cytoprotector Amifostine” (supervisor Prof. Dr. M. Czejka), Vienna University, Austria.
- 1992-1997: Study of pharmacy at Vienna University, Austria.
- 2008-present: Head of Islet Biology Laboratory, Centre for Biomolecular Interactions, University of Bremen, Germany;
- 2005-2008: Assistant Professor at the Larry Hillblom Islet Research Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA;
Associated member of the Molecular Biology Institute, UCLA, and lecturer of ACCESS program courses for graduate students.
- 2002-2004: Project leader at the Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1998-1999: Directive pharmacist in the community pharmacy “St. Bernward”, Hannover, Germany, specialties: Geriatrics and diabetes;
Lecturer in Pharmacology, Pathophysiology and Pharmaceutical Practice in the vocational school “Blindow”, Bückeburg, Germany;
Active member of the Federation of pharmacists in Lower Saxony and of the advisory council of consulting pharmacists, Hannover, Germany
- 1996: Undergraduate research assistant in the Laboratory of Diagnostic and Clinical Pharmacy, Prof. Dr. M. Czejka, Vienna University, Austria
- Leading researcher/ principal investigator of projects founded by the DFG, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, ERC, European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes, NIH, American Diabetes Foundation, FP7/ European Union, Larry L Hillblom Foundation, Stein Oppenheimer Foundation, Swiss National Science Foundation, University Zurich Research Foundation as well as direct industrial projects.
- Independent principle investigator in the Larry L Hillblom Islet Research Center at UCLA, Los Angeles. Associated member and lecturer at the Molecular Biology Institute at UCLA. Mentor in the Medical Student Training in Aging Research at UCLA, UCSF, and UCDHSC.
- Section Editor for Diabetes & Obesity, PLoS ONE.
- Two-year experience as chief pharmacist.
- Project Partner of the German Center for Diabetes Research (DZD)
- Servier Research Award in Endocrinology, 2001.
- Prize for best oral presentation at 1st Day of Clinical Research in USZ, Zurich, Switzerland, 2002.
- JDRF fellowship award 2004.
- Fellowship Award by the German Diabetes Society sponsored by Bayer, 2004
- Junior Faculty Award of the Department of Medicine Research day, UCLA, 2006
- American Diabetes Association Junior Faculty Award
- Ellison Award for Aging Research 2007
- Outstanding Poster Award at the Presidential Poster Session, American Geriatrics Society Meeting 2008
- Emmy Noether Award of DFG, 2008
- European Research Council (ERC) Award 2010
- Ferdinand Bertram Award 2011
- Paul Ehrlich- und Ludwig Darmstaedter-Junior Award 2012
Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May 2015 22:46